Thursday, June 28, 2007

Blogs, Newsletters and Podcasts

A new blog host - Lion Brands -lists several connections to fiber blogs: http://cache.lionbrand.com/blogs.html. Not only does it encourage chatter, but a weekly newsletter can be received. The last few editions have contained a cable pattern of the week. One of my favorite techniques is cabling. I've done several scarves in containing different types of cables. The next afghan block is Aran with cabling and seed stitch. I'm anxious to finish what I've been working on (a shawl) to begin another project.

Interweave Knits recently began publishing a daily newsletter via e-mail, Knitting Daily where life meets knitting. The most recent edition featured a pattern for colorwork, a two-strand Fair Isle print for a shoulder bag. I thought this might be an interesting item to tackle at some point in the near future. If you wish to receive this newsletter, check out the following link:
http://www.knittingdaily.com/cgi-bin/udt/um.register.account?ET=knittingdaily_blog:e653:15871a:&st=email

Each week for the last 10, Kelley of KnitPicks has released a podcast. Episode 1 reviews several books which I now wish to add to my library with the plan that I will complete the workshop contained in the books. The first is The Sweater Workshop by Jacqueline Fee, who instructs through doing a sampler of the stitches to make a sweater you design with the yarn you choose. The second is The Knitting Workshop by Elizabeth Zimmerman, the patron saint of all things knitted. This volume is a compilation of knitting workshops she taught. Much to my chagrin, this book has been sitting on my shelf and not used. Now that I've been knitting a wee bit longer I might be better suited to work through the information provided inside!
For a download of this podcast:
http://www.knitpicks.com/content/index.php/archive/episode-1/

No comments: